Freitag, 24. April 2009

time for an update

NBA playoffs are on. Tonight the Celtics tore the Chicago Bulls apart. As my new roommate got us cable and a huge (and when I say huge I mean HUGE) TV. Well good game it was anyways. Right now the LA Lakers are playing against Utah Jazz... and LA is probably going to win but it's close.

Besides that I got really hooked on the American Revolution this week after I went to the reenactment of the Battle on Lexington Green with my friend Maik from Dresden/DC on Monday morning (5.30 am lolz!). A lot of gunpowder was in the air as the British troops marched into town and fought off the revolutionaries in Lexington and continued marching further west towards Concord. Back in 1775 they had to retreat back to Boston eventually and suffered heavy losses because militia from all the surrounding Massachusetts towns went there to fight the "redcoats". I actually learned this from the 13 episode history channel documentary "the revolution" which I downloaded this week (but only watched 3 of them so far)... as I said I'm hooked. 
I took some pictures and video, but unfortunately they are kind of too large to upload them here. In case someone is really interested, there are videos of the reenactment on youtube. And here are some pictures


dead revolutionaries and the British ranks 

people were actually booohing when the British soldiers marched by. Obviously reenactment is taken very seriously not only by the actors...

Other than watching NBA and documentaries on the Revolution, I drafted my first poster for a scientific presentation this week. The student research conference at my university where I am going to present our preliminary results is going to be next Tuesday and I am happy and relieved that our dataset finally worked out and I found something to present. I am pretty happy with the final results now! 

... I guess that's it for now. Only 2 more months in the States for me now. Feels kind of weird thinking about going back to Germany so soon. But I am currently looking for internship opportunities for the summer and for a thesis topic for fall; exciting stuff! Before I leave though I'm gonna do a big road trip with my friend Adrian (the plan is to drive west, then down the Mississippi all the way to New Orleans and back up to New England... just a quick trip of about 3500 miles, haha!) and present at another conference in New Jersey in June. Also there are a couple of more papers due till the semester is over...

That's it for now, have to go to bed.
More news soon. x


1 Kommentar:

johanssen hat gesagt…

utah wonz. close. thrilling game